Chopped mushrooms, when sautéed, blend seamlessly with ground meats. Swapping or adding mushrooms to a recipe can add an extra serving of vegetables to the plate. Serving suggestion: serve with a glass of non-fat milk and a slice of watermelon for an easy summer meal.
- 1/2 pound white button mushrooms
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 can 8oz no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 teaspoons brown suga
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 whole-wheat buns
- Chop mushrooms to approximate size and texture of cooked ground beef.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef and mushrooms, and cook.
- Sauté until ground beef is done.
- Remove mushroom-beef mixture from pan.
- Add onions and garlic to pan; cook until golden.
- Return mushroom-beef mixture to pan, along with remaining ingredients.
- Simmer about 10 minutes; remove from heat.
Nutrition Information per serving (makes 4 servings):
Calories: 280, Total Fat: 11 g, Total Carbohydrate: 37 g, Dietary Fiber: 6 g, Protein: 13 g
For complete nutritional information and to view more recipes from the What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl database, click on the "Learn More" button below!