Healthy Recipe: Rainbow Bell Pepper Boats with Garbanzo Beans and Kale
Red, orange and yellow bell peppers stuffed with garbanzo beans, kale, walnuts and brown rice make a delicious Mediterranean-influenced vegetarian dish.
- 2 cups instant brown rice (cooked)
- 4 medium bell peppers (red, yellow, and orange)
- 2 cups kale (chopped)
- 1 can 15 oz garbanzo beans, unsalted
- 1/2 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Slice bell peppers in half vertically and remove seeds.
- Reserve about half of garbanzo beans; mash remaining portion with a fork.
- Mix rice with kale, garbanzo beans (mashed and whole), nuts, salt, and pepper.
- Fill peppers with mix; place in baking dish and cover.
- Bake about 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and bake more 5 more minutes.
Nutrition Information per serving (makes 4 servings):
Calories: 330, Total Fat: 11 g, Total Carbohydrate: 48 g, Dietary Fiber: 9 g, Protein: 11 g
For complete nutritional information and to view more recipes from the What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl database, click on the "Learn More" button below!